India beat Sri Lanka by 317 runs in ODI: Here are top 10 biggest win margins in 50-over cricket
India’s Mohammed Siraj celebrates a dismissal during the 3rd ODI match against Sri Lanka at Greenfield International Stadium, in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, on January 15, 2023. (ANI Photo)
India on Sunday (15) scripted a massive record in one-day international (ODI) cricket when they thumped Sri Lanka by 317 runs in the third match of a three-game series in Thiruvananthapuram in the southern state of Kerala.
Batting first after the home team captain, Rohit Sharma, won the toss and elected to bat, the hosts plundered runs to post a mammoth 390 for 5 in 50 overs, thanks to 166 from former captain Virat Kohli and 116 from opener Shubman Gill. The islanders, who had already lost the series, never looked in the contest after the break and were bundled out for only 73 runs in 22 overs against a spirited Indian bowling attack.
It is the first time in the history of the 50-over format that a team beat another by more than 300 runs.
The previous biggest win margin was 290 which New Zealand had scripted against Ireland in Aberdeen, Ireland, in 2008.
Here are the top 10 biggest wins by a team in ODIs:
- India beat Sri Lanka by 317 runs in Thiruvananthapuram, India, on January 15, 2023
- New Zealand beat Ireland by 290 runs in Aberdeen, Ireland, on July 1, 2008
- Australia beat Afghanistan by 275 runs in Perth, Australia, on March 4, 2015
- South Africa beat Zimbabwe by 272 runs in Benoni, South Africa, on October 22, 2010
- South Africa beat Sri Lanka by 258 runs in Paarl, South Africa, on January 11, 2012
- India beat Bermuda by 257 runs in Port of Spain, West Indies, on March 19, 2007
- South Africa beat West Indies by 257 runs in Sydney, Australia, on February 27, 2015
- Australia beat Namibia by 256 runs in Potchefstroom, South Africa, on February 27, 2003
- India beat Hong Kong by 256 runs in Karachi, Pakistan, on June 25, 2008
- Pakistan beat Ireland by 255 runs in Dublin (Malahide), Ireland, on August 18, 2016