President Donald Trump has warned Iran that time is running out as efforts to end the war continue to face major problems.
In a message posted on his Truth Social platform, Trump wrote: "They better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them." He also added: "TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!"
The warning came after Trump reportedly spoke with Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday (17), according to the Times of Israel, which cited Netanyahu’s office.
At the same time, Iranian media reported that the United States had failed to offer any real concessions in response to Tehran’s latest proposals aimed at ending the conflict.
Iran’s semi-official Mehr news agency said the lack of compromise from Washington could lead to an "impasse in the negotiations".
Trump’s latest comments were similar to the earlier warnings he made before the ceasefire announced in early April. At that time, he warned that a "whole civilisation" would die unless Iran agreed to a deal.
Earlier this week, Trump also said the ceasefire was on "massive life support" after rejecting Iran’s demands. He described Tehran’s requests as "totally unacceptable".
Iran defended its proposals. Esmail Baghaei, a spokesperson for Iran’s foreign ministry, said the demands were "responsible" and "generous".
According to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, Tehran’s proposals included an immediate end to the war on all fronts. This included continued Israeli attacks against Iran-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Iran also demanded an end to the US naval blockade of Iranian ports and guarantees that no further attacks would be carried out against Iran.
The proposals also reportedly called for compensation for war damage and recognition of Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency reported on Sunday (17) that the US had answered with five conditions.
These reportedly included a demand that Iran keep only one nuclear site operating and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.
On Friday (15), Trump suggested he could accept a 20-year suspension of Iran’s nuclear program. This appeared to show a change from the earlier US demand for a complete end to the program.
Israeli and US forces began major air strikes on Iran on February 28. A ceasefire was later announced to support peace talks. The ceasefire has mostly held, although there have still been occasional exchanges of fire.
Iran has continued to control the Strait of Hormuz, effectively shutting down the important waterway. Around 20 per cent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the strait.
Iran said the move was a response to attacks by the United States and Israel. The situation has caused oil prices to rise sharply around the world.
The United States has continued its blockade of Iranian ports in an effort to pressure Tehran into accepting its terms.
Pakistan has been acting as a mediator between the two sides, but major differences remain.
















