The wife of a 41-year-old Indian-origin doctor accused of attempting to murder his family, including his two children, in a car crash in the US has said that she doesn't want him to be prosecuted, media reports said.
Dharmesh A Patel, a physician from Pasadena, California, was accused of intentionally driving his wife and their two children in a Tesla car off a cliff in California last month.
According to his attorney Joshua Bentley, Patel's wife, who initially informed rescue officials that the accused drove off the cliff on purpose, said she doesn't want him prosecuted, the Fox News Channel reported on Monday (13).
Bentley told the court last week that the central witness, later determined to be his client's wife, hoped Patel would not be prosecuted, KNTV news station reported.
Patel pleaded not guilty on Thursday (9) for three counts of attempted murder and two enhancements, New York Post newspaper reported last week.
He drove his Tesla off the Pacific Coast Highway on January 2 with his wife and his two children - aged 5 and 7 - inside the car, allegedly on purpose.
All four miraculously survived the fall and were rescued. According to the report, Mr Patel, his wife and the elder child were seriously injured, while the younger child escaped with minor injuries.
Firefighters rappelled down the cliff to save the two children, and a helicopter crew rescued the two adults from the vehicle, NBC News reported.
The prosecution has sufficient evidence to prove the charges against Mr Patel, San Mateo chief deputy district attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
At Thursday's hearing, a judge reenacted a no-contact order against Mr Patel, which had previously been lifted and replaced with a no-harassment order. It prevents him from communicating with his family.
Patel is being held without bail and has a preliminary hearing scheduled for March 20.
(PTI)














A Palestinian boy carrying a bag over his shoulder walks through a heavily damaged street in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 31, 2026. Hamas said on July 31, 2026, it had agreed to a deal announced by the US president to end its war with Israel, which includes it handing over its weapons to a Palestinian governing committee and the gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza. Getty Images
Protesters trample on photographs of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. President Donald Trump, along with Israeli and U.S. flags during a rally in Caracas on July 24, 2026, protesting the presence and influence of the United States and Israel in the country, one month after the June 24 earthquakes. Recovering from the earthquakes in Venezuela will take years, the Red Cross said on July 24, one month on from the June 24 disaster that killed more than 5,000 people. Getty Images

