JOHNSON & JOHNSON will not be undertaking local trials for its single-shot Covid-19 vaccine in India and is looking at ways to accelerate its availability in the country, the Economic Times reported on Tuesday (29), citing a company spokesperson.
J&J said in April it was in talks with India's government to begin a bridging clinical study of its Janssen Covid-19 vaccine candidate in the country.
In late May, India said it would scrap local trials altogether for "well-established" vaccines manufactured in other countries.
The US-based drugmaker is exploring how to accelerate the availability of its vaccine in India, the report said.
Over 41 million Covid-19 vaccine doses were administered across India last week, with pandemic-induced restrictions being eased further.
Experts have said widespread vaccination remains one of the best tools to avoid the kind of devastation India saw during its second wave of the pandemic.
J&J did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
Infectious disease experts are weighing the need for booster shots of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna mRNA-based vaccines for Americans who received Johnson & Johnson's one-dose vaccine due to the increasing prevalence of the more contagious Delta coronavirus variant.
Canada and some European countries are already allowing people to get two different Covid-19 shots.
There is no substantial data showing how protective the J&J vaccine is against the Delta variant first detected in India. However, UK studies show that two doses of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or AstraZeneca vaccines are significantly more protective against the variant than one.
More than 41 million vaccine doses were administered across India in just the last week, at a time when experts have said that widespread vaccination remains one of the best tools to avoid the kind of devastation the country saw during the pandemic's second wave.















A Palestinian boy carrying a bag over his shoulder walks through a heavily damaged street in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 31, 2026. Hamas said on July 31, 2026, it had agreed to a deal announced by the US president to end its war with Israel, which includes it handing over its weapons to a Palestinian governing committee and the gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza. Getty Images
Protesters trample on photographs of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. President Donald Trump, along with Israeli and U.S. flags during a rally in Caracas on July 24, 2026, protesting the presence and influence of the United States and Israel in the country, one month after the June 24 earthquakes. Recovering from the earthquakes in Venezuela will take years, the Red Cross said on July 24, one month on from the June 24 disaster that killed more than 5,000 people. Getty Images
