Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

James Franco returns to Hollywood after 10 years for 'Rambo' franchise

Nearly a decade after sexual misconduct allegations damaged his career, James Franco is returning to mainstream Hollywood with a role in the Rambo franchise, raising questions about redemption, audience acceptance, and Hollywood’s approach to controversial stars.

James Franco returns to Hollywood after 10 years for 'Rambo' franchise

James Franco attends the opening ceremony and "La Vénus Electrique" (The Electric Venus) screening during the 79th annual Cannes Film Festival at Palais des Festivals on May 12, 2026 in Cannes, France.

Highlights:

  • James Franco joins the expanding Rambo franchise.
  • Experts say Hollywood is quietly testing audience reaction.
  • Franco faced sexual misconduct allegations in 2018.
  • The actor settled a lawsuit with former acting students in 2021.
  • Sylvester Stallone’s involvement may soften public backlash.

Nearly 10 years after sexual misconduct allegations pushed him out of mainstream Hollywood, James Franco is slowly returning to the spotlight. His latest step comes through a role in the expanding Rambo universe, a move industry experts say reflects Hollywood’s familiar strategy for controversial stars: stay quiet, rebuild slowly, and return once public outrage fades.


Experts told Fox News Digital that Franco’s casting is less about a full comeback and more about testing whether audiences are ready to accept him again.

“This isn’t Hollywood opening the door for James Franco, it’s Lionsgate testing the lock,” Aaron Evans, founder of Story Group, said.

Crisis and reputation management expert Evan Nierman agreed.

“Franco’s return tells you Hollywood believes enough time has passed to test the market, which is very different from declaring the controversy over,” he said.

Hollywood has often distanced itself from actors and public figures during periods of intense criticism before gradually bringing them back into projects once attention fades. Reputation expert Steve Honig said the industry usually allows a path back if a celebrity shows remorse, accepts some responsibility, and keeps a low profile for a period of time.

“In many cases, redemption in Hollywood is less about achieving forgiveness and more about convincing the industry and audiences that the controversy no longer outweighs the individual’s value, talent or marketability,” Honig explained.

Franco faced major backlash in 2018 after five women accused him of sexual misconduct in a Los Angeles Times investigation. Two former acting students later sued the actor in 2019. According to reports, Franco settled the lawsuit in 2021 with a $2.2 million payment.

Later, Franco publicly addressed the allegations during an appearance on SiriusXM’s “The Jess Cagle Podcast.” He admitted he had relationships with students at his acting school and said he stepped away from public life after the accusations surfaced.

“In 2018, there were some complaints about me and an article about me, and at that moment I just thought, ‘I'm gonna be quiet. I'm gonna pause,’” Franco said. “Did not seem like the right time to say anything. Some people were upset with me, and I needed to listen.”

The actor also spoke about addiction and personal recovery.

“I was in recovery before for substance abuse,” Franco said. “There were some issues that I had to deal with that were also related to addiction. And so I've really used my recovery background to kind of start examining this and changing who I was.”

Since then, Franco has largely stayed away from major Hollywood productions. Instead, he appeared in smaller European and independent projects, including Karantina, Hey Joe, and Squali. He also returned to the Cannes Film Festival this year while promoting the action thriller “Foster.”

The actor recently told Deadline that he has focused on living a “positive life.”

“I just try to be the best person I can be,” Franco said. “I think I was put on this planet to make movies. I try to make movies the best I can, and it’s kinda like all I can do.”

Experts believe Franco’s involvement in the “Rambo” franchise may help ease criticism because the series already has a loyal fan base closely tied to Sylvester Stallone, who serves as executive producer on the project.

“Putting Franco inside the Rambo universe gives him some protection because the franchise is bigger than the casting controversy,” Nierman said.

Evans argued Stallone’s support could be especially important.

“Stallone is doing more work here than people realize,” Evans said. “Attaching Franco to Rambo is a vouch from one of the last unapologetically American leading men in Hollywood.”

Still, experts say the real test is not whether Hollywood accepts Franco again, but whether audiences do.

“This is a temperature check more than a victory lap for Franco,” Nierman said.

“Industry forgiveness and public forgiveness are not the same thing,” Evans added. “The public will decide based on whether his performance gives them a reason to root for him again.”